HOUSTON LOW INCOME STUDENT COLLEGE PREP
LOW INCOME COLLEGE PREP
As a rich resource for Houston
Located just outside Houston, Chinquapin Prep is now celebrating 50 years of successfully inverting the income outcome disparity through character development, a rigorous curriculum
Our mission is to provide a high-quality college-preparatory education to able and motivated youth from low-income families in the greater Houston area. Through rigorous curriculum and an emphasis on community service and earning what one receives, we aim to produce responsible, well-educated citizens who will become constructive leaders in their communities.
For nearly 50 years
Chinquapin Prep has provided economically disadvantaged youth from the Houston area with the opportunity for a better future through education.
A unique brand of Houston
low income student ap education
Some tangible numbers and information that speak to the effectiveness of our efforts include the following:
- Admission to a four-year collegiate program is a requirement in order to graduate from Chinquapin Prep.
- And, 85 percent of Chinquapin graduates complete a college education with 36 percent of this group pursuing graduate work.
- This underscores Chinquapin Prep’s dedication to helping students find success in college and beyond. While many similar charter schools are designed to help students finish out high school, our low-income student AP education in Houston TX puts students on a path that takes them through college.
It’s an unfortunate reality that opportunity is not dispersed evenly amongst area residents, both here in Houston and throughout the rest of the country. Most low income and underprivileged students — even those who are extremely gifted — simply do not have the resources to equip themselves for success in college and beyond.
At Chinquapin Prep, our Houston low-income student college prep is designed to minimize this disparity as we strive to provide underserved communities with opportunities that talented, hard-working students both need and deserve. Consider some of the following information about our student body:
- 83 percent of Chinquapin Prep families are economically disadvantaged
- Almost all qualify for the free or reduced lunch program
- Chinquapin Prep students are proud of their diversity and what they can bring to the table. This includes a student body that is:
- 82 percent Hispanic/Latinx
- 14 percent African American
- 3 percent White
- 1 percent Asian
- Students recognize and appreciate their gifts and opportunities and seek to “pay it forward.”
Once the barriers standing between these students and the necessary educational resources are removed, the results speak for themselves. In fact, the young men and women that undergo our low-income student college prep in Houston TX outscore state SAT averages by 200 points and ACT averages by 20 percent.
All graduating seniors are accepted into college, many into top-ranked schools like Harvard, MIT, Duke, Rice, Stanford and more.
The generosity of both foundations, corporations, and individuals is vital to our efforts
Here at Chinquapin Prep, we receive most of our funding from foundations, individuals and corporations. We operate on an annual operating budget of $2.5 million and provide sliding scale scholarships based on what families can afford.
To keep our Houston low-income student college prep accessible to all, please consider making a donation to Chinquapin Prep and equipping a student for success in college and beyond.